While you probably know Wil Wheaton as an actor, maybe from Stand By Me or Star Trek TN, you may not be aware that he is also one of the most prolific celebrity Twitter users and a self-confessed geek. In fact, the title of one his books previous books is Just A Geek.
Wil’s latest book is called Sunken Treasure and has been available for sale for 28 days now. Evident from yesterday’s activity on Twitter is that next on Wil’s mind was launching an electronic version, and here is the timeline of events:
– Tweet 1: Wil asks his followers if anyone would be interested in an electronic copy of Sunken treasure for $5
– Tweet 2: Wil says that lots have responded with interest in a PDF version for $5
– Tweet 3: Wil presents the launch of the PDF version and links to it here
– Tweet 4: Wil announces that lots of people have purchased the PDF version and asks for feedback
– Tweet 5: Wil tells us that PDF sales in the last hour are the 1/5th of physical sales over the last 28 days
– Tweet 6: Wil posts that one of his followers has said I was able to order, download, and start enjoying right from my iPhone. Awesome!
– Tweet 7: Wil’s Google alerts are telling him that users are spreading the word of the PDF version.
The power of Twitter, as proven by Wil Wheaton and his many followers. While I am very tempted to get the PDF version myself, I am still one of those people that likes to have the actual book in my hands so I’ll be purchasing it via Lulu.